Saturday, October 05, 2013

License to Consult

I'm officially a business.  I obtained my business license from the town this week.  (Don't get me started on the ridiculousness of the bureaucracy, but I have to mention that I had to get an occupancy permit to sit at my personal computer in my personal house and earn money.)  The license says "consulting."  So feel free to consult me on anything you'd like...:)  I guess I put too many things on the application...wedding coordinating, government contracting, bookkeeping.  I may not be doing as much bookkeeping as soon as I hoped.  I found out recently that I need the equivalent of one year full time experience working in accounting before I can get my CPA license.  And working for yourself does not count.  I need to get that experience in a maximum time period of three years.  In other words, I can't work 10 hours per week for 4 years.  But I may be able to do 10 hours per week for 2 years and then 20 hours per week for 1 year.  So if I'm going to need to do that I'm not sure I can also run a bookkeeping business on the side.  But I'm still feeling like there are lots of opportunities out there.  I may just take a client or two to get my feet wet and then go work for someone else for a while.  But now I have the license to do that.

Of course I may go to work for my former employer for a while too.  My former boss called me about a week ago.  He asked me how I was liking staying home.  After I told him I was enjoying myself, he said, I was afraid of that.  But as long as I have a task that I can do from home I may start contracting back to them next year.  Or I might start getting my experience for the CPA.  Still lots of opportunities.
I'm not bored at home though.  That's for sure.  I've been exercising consistently for about 2 week which is great.  Then I have my class work and volunteering and between those and just the normal day to day stuff, which includes lots of playground time with the kids these days, I barely have time for the projects I've been hoping to get done.  But I do have a little time each week, I just need to be diligent about it.

No comments: