Thursday, November 03, 2011

Dylan update

Dylan turned 5 on Sunday. Hard to believe. He has now decided to start calling us "Mom" and "Dad" instead of "Mommy" and "Daddy" proving that he is really a big kid now and in the process making us feel just a little old.

Let's see, big milestones over the past year - writing his name, loving every single day of preschool, moving up to a booster seat, riding a bike without training wheels, sleeping on the top of a bunk bed, hanging out with the neighborhood boys, going to children's church, singing in the choir, going to Vacation Bible School for the first time. It's been a good year. I feel like we've come out of a really hard stage we had with Dylan and he seems to be more compliant and eats better and is more helpful. That makes life a little easier but it's not a measure I necessarily want to use on my child's character or emotional development. Sort of like those stats we get from the doctor for his physical development - speaking of which - 36 lbs 6 oz in weight (25th percentile) and 40 and 3/4 inches in height (10th percentile). The doctor asked us (his parents) our heights and if either of us were late bloomers because according to our heights he should end up at about 5'10''. I'm pretty sure Martin was a late bloomer so we're expecting the same from Dylan. There are kids his age that are a whole head taller at this point but this still hasn't affected Dylan.

Things that have become clear to me about Dylan this year - he is the most extroverted person I know. If we leave him at the table to finish his breakfast while we get ourselves and Lydia dressed he yells from downstairs, "I'm scared to be alone!!" He's not scared scared but just can't stand the thought of being alone. This summer when preschool was out of session he wanted at least one playdate every day. He loves Bible Study and choir and preschool so much because he gets to be with his friends. We have very little privacy in our house (which we don't mind usually). How two, mostly introverted people ended up with Dylan is a mystery to us.

Another thing that I've noticed is that Dylan is all about schedules as I mentioned in the blog before. "What are we going to do today? What are we going to do tomorrow?" He is also very details-oriented too. The doctor even picked up on this at his appointment. The doctor asked him the name of his preschool teacher and he said Ms. Rose and the doctor said Miss Rose and he said no, Ms. Rose. He doesn't like me to refer to his booster seat as a car seat. "It's a booster seat Mom!" He's a fairly serious kid and pretty literal too.

Dylan has a great memory and really makes connections with what he learns, especially things he learns at church and Sunday school. Things we are still working on - counting, fine motor skills, doing all things without complaining, obeying immediately.

I'm looking forward to the next year for Dylan. He will start Kindergarten next year and we are actually going to an open house next week for a private Christian school we are considering. One of his preschool friends might be going there too. Whether we go that route or the public school within walking distance of our house, I'm confident that Dylan will do well. He seems to like the structure that school provides.

While Dylan is not a cuddler, he's still young enough to kiss and hug his mommy and I'm thankful for that. I'm getting all the hugs and kisses I can while he's still willing to provide them.

No comments: