I've decided to start some "sleep training" to get Dylan to sleep through the night. First, I want to tell you that I'm not one of those people who expect babies to sleep through the night at a young age and then think there's something that needs to be fixed if they're not. I also am not one of those people who think not sleeping through the night is such a hardship on me. I just figured it goes with the territory. If my baby is hungry in the middle of the night, I need to fee him. And until recently my thinking was that Dylan was still getting hungry in the middle of the night, mostly because he seemed so desparate to eat when I would go to feed him. But now I've been convinced that he's not sleeping throug the night because simply because he's used to eating between 2:30 and 4:30am. He thinks that's a meal time. So if I just get him to go back to sleep instead of feeding him then feed him more later, we will all get longer stretches of sleep which will be good for everyone. Dylan doesn't need to eat at that time. So last night we tried it. I fed him at 10:30 and then went to sleep. At 3am when he woke up (and was wide awake!) I just put the pacifier back in and shhhhed and patted him until he was asleep. An hour an 15 min. later we did the same thing. (This was also part of my rationale for feeding him at 3am in the past - if I feed him then he'll stay asleep longer. Well, if we just get through these first couple days of this, he won't wake up at 3am at all hopefully.) Then 45 minutes later he was up again. It was 5am at this time and I decided that was good enough training for that night and so I fed him then. He went 6.5 hours without eating...and lived to tell about it...:) My goal is 7-8 hours - 10:30/11pm to 5:30/6:30/7am. So I'll keep you updated. Please keep praying....I was thinking about the theological implications of this last night....was me doing the "training" not relying on God to answer the prayer or thinking that he didn't? By no means!!! I really felt like God "laid it on my heart" to do this training through seemingly chance conversations with my sister and friends and through some reading I happened upon on the Internet. I truly believe this is a way that God works to answer prayers. But, so as I shouldn't think it has anything to do with me, I still need God to help the training actually work. So prayers are still warrented. And why am I asking prayer for something seemingly insignificant when there are bigger problems out there for me to pray about and for God to deal with? (A question I have asked myself.) Well, duh, this is God we're talking about, he can handle everything at the same time, not like us humans. God is infinite. But I still should be consistent in my prayers for those "bigger" issues, those outside myself. That was something I was convicted of at our church's recent missions conference. My prayer life had become very self-centered so I'm trying now to pray for more people. So, I think I must be violating blogger etiquette from going so off topic from my title that I'm going to stop there. Bringing this back to topic, here are some pictures of Dylan's crib that we finally put together 3 weeks ago (although not without cracking the wood and needing to use gorilla glue - but it's fine - functional and all) and that I finally took a picture of this morning. The crib is still in our room. My plan is after Dylan starts sleeping through the night somewhat consistently to move the crib into his room and then move the spare bed into a storage unit. Then we're going to get a new sleeper sofa and put the old couch in the storage unit. We've pretty much decide that we won't be moving this year. Too much hassle, not enough need. Maybe we'll be able to save up enough money for a SFH instead of having to buy a townhouse first. We'll see.

2 comments:
Heather,
I'll be praying for the sleeping thing! How nice of you though. to get up with him anyway to calm him down, instead of just letting him cry.
As for the sleeper sofa, as you know I have one. But in retrospect, I wish I would've bought a nice air mattress. A good one is much more comfortable than a sleeper sofa, and you can put it anywhere you want. (Not that you have any other options than the living room right now...)
I'll be praying for you Heather! I think you're doing the right thing. If your library has it, there is a good book called, I think, "Good Night, Sleep Tight" that had some really helpful information about how long a baby can really physically go without eating, based on his age, weight, and how often he eats during the day. That really gave me peace of mind with Hannah when we were working on sleeping, just knowing that given how often she was nursing during th e day, I knew how long she could go at night. I think it's cruel to deprive a baby who really NEEDS to eat from eating, but it helped me to know at what point she didn't need that night feeding anymore. I didn't follow the other sleep advice in the book, I just checked it out of the library for the age/weight/amount information.
The other helpful thing someone told me was that if an adult habitually gets up at 3am and eats a snack, and then tries to go all night without eating, he'd be hungry for a while too - his stomach is used to eating. But he doens't NEED to eat then, if he's eaten properly during the day. That helped me understand the psychological aspect of baby hunger at night too.
I'll be praying for a smooth transition to restful nights for your family!
Post a Comment