Monday, November 05, 2007

First signs of separation anxiety

Our very independent and easy going little guy finally showed some signs of separation anxiety this weekend....it was great...:) Just kidding, but really, it did make me feel better that he does know us and wants to be with us. Martin and I went out for our anniversary on Saturday night and we left Dylan and our friends' house. They have a one year old too so we figured it would be a play date. Dylan goes to day care twice and week and the church nursery once a week without any problems so we didn't think anything about leaving him. Our friends said he cried for the 1st 10-15 minutes that he was there. And then after he calmed down he cried again when our friends left the room to get dinner ready. He had been to their house before, most recently a month ago. But I guess it was just not part of his normal routine so he didn't know what was going on. Even so, the he did fine at our friends' house and even went to sleep for them at 7:30pm.

I didn't realize how important his routine was until this weekend. Some other things showed me that yesterday too. I tried to give Dylan a sippy cup with milk instead of nursing him at church like I normally do. He wouldn't have anything to do with it even though he has taken a sippy cup with cold milk before. It just wasn't in the routine. And then last night he seemed really tired around 5pm and we figured there was no way he was going to eat for us so we tried to get him to go to sleep. He was just about asleep like 3 times and then he would wake up. So we tried dinner and he ate a ton without fussing. Usually with Dylan, sleep trumps eating as far as his needs go but I guess not last night. So then he got a bath and went right to sleep.

I am still nursing him to sleep. Not doing so didn't last very long. But whatever works. I'm trying to get to the point where I'm just nursing him for sleep but this morning I've already nursed him 2-3 times trying to get him to go back to sleep with no avail. Even before the time change Dylan was waking up around 5:30 or 6 and not going back to sleep. So now I'm getting less sleep but I guess I get more done in the morning.

No comments: