Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Another fun summer get-together


On labor day weekend, my pen pal Kelly was in town with her husband Jake and we got together for lunch and some site-seeing. I met Kelly in Yellowstone Park when our families were on vacation there in 1987. We wrote to each other a lot during middle school and while we wrote less and less over the years we always kept in touch and sent each other Christmas cards, etc. Until Labor Day, I hadn't seen her since 1987, over 20 years! Kelly contacted me over Facebook and said she was coming into town and gave me her cell phone number so we made a plan to meet up, we just had to recognize each other. We didn't have any problem. I was amazed at how familiar it seemed to spend time with Kelly. And I was amazed and how much fun we had and how much I enjoyed the time with her and her husband who is super nice and funny. Martin and Dylan enjoyed hanging out with them too. What are the chances that after 20 years we would still get along and have enough in common to talk for a few hours? And what are the chances that our husbands would get along? But we did and they did. Kelly lives in MN so I probably won't see her again for a while but we are hoping they move to DC in a few years after she finishes school.

No comments: