Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Dylan's reaction to the new baby....

I can't believe you guys didn't consult me on this one.


Do you realize what this is going to do to MY life?


At least tell me its a boy...please tell me its a boy... _____________________________________________

Actually this was not when we told Dylan - just a messy dinner but I had to spice up the blog a little. Dylan doesn't get the baby idea at all. He barely knows the word for baby. He'll do a lot of growing up in the next 6 months though. I'm sure we'll have lots of opportunities to teach him. And to get him used to Mommy holding another baby. We hung out with Nancy and Duncan and their 3 kids on Sunday and as I was holding Linus, their 10 month old, I definitely saw Dylan get jealous. Maybe he'll be better with a smaller baby - we'll see when go to visit his new cousin Zak in a week and a half.

We will be finding out (hopefully) if we are having a boy or a girl, probably the by the end of next month. We're kinda hoping for a girl so we don't have to go through the name choosing challenge again and because she would be the first baby girl on either side. But it would be fun for Dylan to have a boy playmate close to his age.




2 comments:

Nancy said...

About the jealousy thing--yesterday, I was a part of a conversation where two moms shared that their youngest child was jealous when the mom held a baby from a different family. But when their new baby came, the older sibling wasn't a bit jealous...like they know the new baby was theirs. Not that these children never get jealous, but it's just different from when mom held a baby from another family. There's hope!
We had a great time with y'all on Sunday (as always). Thanks again for driving all the way to PG county=).

Catherine said...

I second what Nancy said. Hannah used to get jealous when I held other babies, but once Jack arrived it was not a problem. Then again, she was 17 months old when he was born, so maybe some of that had to do with the fact that she was young? Maybe older kids have a harder times since they've been the only for longer? I'm sure it depends on the child too.

One thing I do think helps is talking up the baby in advance and getting the older sibling excited about getting a baby, excited about being the "big kid" of the family, etc.

Anyway, that is my limited insight based on only one episode. :)