Tuesday I had a doctors appointment and all seems to be going well with Baby #2. We got to hear the heartbeat for the first time which was very cool. The heartbeat was in the 150 range.
Dylan's latest words include:
book
Miah - for his cousin Jeremiah
[sign for] please
[sign for] help
ambulance (this is pretty mumbled)
sun
Zak - his new cousin
[the sound of an elephant]
[the sound of a frog]
[the sound of a lion]
And he knows some letters already: E, H, N, O, S, X. He sees the letters and says the name of the letter. I'm pretty impressed with this. Is this normal? He doesn't know his shapes yet so I that's why I'm surprised he knows some letters. But then again, things like "circle" are harder to say than "E."
1 comment:
I don't know what the developmental charts say about the letters - by her second birthday H knew most of the letters, but we read a lot to her and have a lot of alphabet books,toys with letters on them, etc so it's not like she had never seen them and just came up with it out of nowhere. I guess it's sort of like how they learn animals etc from books if they haven't seen the animal in real life?
Sad though, a list of "kindergarten readiness skills" I saw recently they said that your kindergartener need not recognize letters as the letter (like know A is A) but should recognize what letters are (as in, A is a letter, 2 is not a letter). Another one was that the 5 year old should know what direction pages are turned in a book.
Can you imagine how completely bereft the life of a five year old is if he has not ever observed anyone turning pages in a book? I feel bad for those kids!
Post a Comment