Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Recent (routine) doctor's appointments

When Martin switched jobs over the summer, we mistakenly put too much into his new health care FSA because we thought we were going to be able to claim things from before his start date that we hadn't claimed in his old FSA. We later figured that Martin could get a new pair of prescription sunglasses so we could use up the funds but now it's starting to look like we might not need to do that with my corneal abrasion and the $40 (!) we spent on this cream for a mark on Dylan's arm from a bug bite that didn't go away. (I wouldn't have gotten the cream if I knew it was going to be so much but our new FSA also automatically debits our account from CVS and I didn't realize this until later - I thought the prescription was fully covered because CVS told me there was no charge. And to all your CVSers out there, if your FSA does this, make sure the checkout person still swipes your CVS card because you get credit for your prescriptions and usually they won't ask for your card if there is no charge. I've messed this up two or three times now.)

But I haven't reported on three routine doctors appointments that we've had recently. I've had two OB appointments and Dylan had his 2-year check up. All is going well with the kidos and with me. At the Sept OB appointment, my parents came and we saw my favorite doctor - Dr. B. My parents were excited because they had seen Dr. B on TV in PA a number of months back and they had to tell him about it. So then it's time to hear the baby's heartbeat. Dr. B sees our squirming toddler and very smartly talks directly to him and says, "do you want to hear the choo choo." Well, that got Dylan's attention. He loves trains and loves to talk about them. So Dr. B puts the sonar thingy up to my belly and you "choo choo, choo choo....choo choo, choo choo." Dylan loved it. He was much more into the experience than when we said "do you want to hear baby sister's heartbeat?" He doesn't get that but he does get choo choo. So at my next OB appointment we listened for the choo choo again and we heard it loud and clear. It's coming down a little, about 140 these days. I also did my glucose test and apparently passed since I haven't heard back from them. And we got some good news that the baby's head is down (at the sonogram her head was up), which could still change but I think it's encouraging. My next appointment is next Friday and then I start going twice a month.

Dylan's 2 year checkup went well too. He's growing on his own little curve (about the 3-5 percentile for weight, 50 percentile for head circum., and 25 percentile for height.) The doctor said he was happy with Dylan's growth. Dylan only had to get one shot this time and now he doesn't go back for a whole year! The fun part of the appointment though was the developmental stuff. Dr. Karp (not the guy who wrote the Happiest Baby btw) and Dylan had a good time playing with the "ball" - a flashlight projection of a circle on the floor. Dylan hit the ball and kicked it (first time he did this - the doctor started doing this test at about 15 months). Then Dylan says "Niiicce" when he hit the ball. Then he said "Awesssome." Dr. Karp bent over laughing. He said "I see a lot of kids and I have never heard a two year old say 'awesome' before." So Dr. Karp was impressed with Dylan's development. I wasn't able to say that Dylan was saying 2 word phrases at the appointment so Dr. Karp was asking me some more questions but after he heard "awesome" there was no more concern. Dylan is now saying 2 word phrases like "mommy sleep" when I had my eyes closed a lot last week.

No comments: