I had a doctors appointment on Friday. All is well with our little girl. Her heartbeat was 136. I passed the glucose test and now I go back in 2 and a half weeks. I made my next two appointments and after that I'll be full term! I've already gained as much weight as I did with Dylan full term, maybe since I haven't exercised as much. Some people have told me though that I don't look as big or that I'm carrying differently. I don't see it but I feel it in my hips. It's hard to explain what it feels like. Exercising (I've been doing a weights class at the gym once a week) has helped a little and I think drinking more water may help. That's my plan for now.
Dylan has started climbing out of his crib, and quite proficiently too. I've watched him to it once. He swings his leg on top of the railing and then holds on tightly to the rail (with some amazing upper body strength) while he gets his legs over the top. Then he slides down the side. No thud, no crying. We just start hearing the doorknob jiggling and we know he's gotten out. He came out about twice when we were putting him to bed on Saturday and then before Sunday's nap he came out about 15 times before going to sleep. (We decided we needed to be persistent to stop this behavior so we didn't give up. I'm so glad we didn't because he did finally go to sleep after about an hour of climbing out. He definitely still needs a nap (and I need to work!) so hopefully the naps won't be a problem this week. We are still giving him a pacifier for the naps after he asks for it and sometimes at bedtime but not as much.) He came out once last night and then got up by himself this morning. We keep going back and forth about getting him toddler bed or putting a twin mattress on the floor or keeping him in the crib. Since he can get out of the crib safely now I'm leaning more towards keeping him in the crib until baby #2 needs it (grows out of the bassinet) and we move in the spring. It's still enough of a deterrent that it's helpful.
Dylan still eats less than we think he should be eating and it takes us forever to find him something to eat (we have to offer at least 5 different things for dinner), but I'm not to the point of worry or exasperation (yet). Breakfast usually isn't a problem - instant oatmeal and fruit. And he rarely refusing grapes or yogurt so we have some last resorts. He's still eating pureed veggies. He hasn't eaten meat for us in probably a week but that might just be a phase. He was all into pasta this weekend. We did switch to 2 percent milk since he turned 2. I asked the doctor if we should stick with whole and he said he Dylan gets fat in his diet from other sources then he didn't need the whole milk. So now we're letting him have more cheese and trying to offer peanut butter more. (We started PB a few weeks before his second birthday since we don't have a history of allergies in our family.) Martin and I decided that we could compromise and drink 2 percent milk too (we usually drink skim) so that we don't have buy two separate gallons at the grocery store. There's not too much left on our weekly grocery list that is just for Dylan now - just the baby veggies and plain yogurt (we switched from yogurt made with whole milk to low fat yogurt for him but Dylan still likes his yogurt plain, without fruit).
Along those lines, I've been thinking about how life with a new baby is going to be a shock for me since I feel like I'm almost back to my pre-kid "groove." We had a pretty busy day yesterday (church, friends over for lunch, made a meal to take over to some friends who just had their second, and then went back to church for a dinner/Harvest) and Martin says to me "I feel like we just had a day on Heather's old schedule," meaning before Dylan. And I've been working 30+ hours a week this last month. So I'm going to be in for a big lifestyle change (especially with going back to breastfeeding) in about 7 weeks. The good thing is I've done it before. Of course we didn't have a two year old then so some things will be different but people keep telling me that caring for the second one is easier because you know the drill now and aren't freaking out about every little thing. But then again every kid is different so what worked for #1 might not work for #2. But we'll roll with it whatever the case. Yes, I'm preaching this to myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment